IBM 8284-22A Power8 Server
Highlights of the IBM 8284-22A Power8 Server:
The IBM Power System S822 server is a powerful 2-socket server that ships with up to 20 activated cores and I/O configuration flexibility to meet today's growth and tomorrow's processing needs. The server features:
- The following fully activated IBM POWER8 dual-chip module (DCM) processor module configurations in a 2U rack-mount form factor:
- Up to 1024 GB of DDR4 memory
- 4-core 3.02 GHz
- 8-core 4.1 GHz
- 6-core or 12-core 3.89 GHz
- 10-core or 20-core 3.42 GHz
- Up to 1024 GB of DDR4 memory
- Choice of storage features:Expansion capabilities for the EXP24S SFF Gen 2-bay Drawer
- Eight SFF-3 Bays/six 1.8-inch SSD bays/DVD Bay/Dual IOA with Write Cache
- Twelve SFF-3 Bays/DVD Bay
- Split feature to 6+6 SFF-3 Bays: Add a second SAS Controller
- Expansion capabilities for the EXP24S SFF Gen 2-bay Drawer
- Hot-swap PCIe Gen 3 slots
- Integrated:Two hot plug, redundant power supplies
- Service processor
- EnergyScale technology
- Hot-swap and redundant cooling
- USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports
- Two HMC ports
- One system port with RJ45 connector
- Two hot plug, redundant power supplies
- 19-inch rack-mounting hardware (2U)
The Power S822 (8284-22A) server offers greater performance per core and per socket with POWER8 processors, new I/O capabilities, higher internal storage and PCIe capacities and performance, the capability to support CAPI accelerator devices, and greater reliability, availability, and serviceability (RAS), including hot-plug PCIe capability.
The Power S822 server supports a maximum of 16 DDR3 CDIMM slots. Memory features that are supported are 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB, and run at 1600 MHz, allowing for a maximum system memory of 1024 GB.
The high data transfer rates that are offered by the PCIe Gen3 slots can allow higher I/O performance or consolidation of the I/O demands on to fewer adapters running at higher rates. The result is better system performance at a lower cost when I/O demands are high.
The Power S822 offers three storage backplane options, providing a great deal of flexibility and capability. The high performance SAS controller provides RAID 0, RAID 5, RAID 6, and RAID 10 support for either a hard disk drive (HDD) or SSD. One of the following three options are available:
- Storage backplane with SFF-3 bays and a DVD bay.
- Split backplane functionality. This feature modifies the base storage backplane cabling and adds a second, high performance SAS controller. The existing 12 SFF-3 SAS bays are cabled to be split into two sets of six bays, each with one SAS controller. Both SAS controllers are located in integrated slots and do not use a PCIe slot.
- Storage Backplane with eight SFF-3 bays, SSD cage with six 1.8" SSD bays, a DVD bay, and a dual I/O adapter (IOA) with Write Cache and IBM Easy Tier® functionality.
- The IBM Easy Tier function is provided with the dual IOA. This function is implemented within the integrated Power Systems SAS controllers, the integrated SAS bays, and, optionally, in an EXP24S I/O drawer. Hot data is automatically moved to an SSD, and cold data is automatically moved to an HDD in an AIX, Linux, or Virtual I/O Server (VIOS) environment.
The IBM Active Memory Expansion feature enables memory expansion on the system. Using compression/decompression of memory, content can effectively expand the maximum memory capacity, providing additional server workload capacity and performance.
IBM EnergyScale technology provides features, such as power trending, power-saving, capping of power, and thermal measurement.